- Read and read again - the first read through will never bring up everything.
- Underline - unless you're following specific proofing instructions then underline the word, phrase, spelling and write the amendments in the margin. It's much clear to spot then trying to write tiny letters above the text.
- Use a real dictionary - sounds obviousl but it's necessary. A dictionary will show you the correct spelling in the correct context and, most importantly, has been put together by people as opposed to the computerised brain your computer dictionary uses!
- Put aside and return later - once you think you've finished, put it aside and re-read it later on. Give yourself at least half an hour and then re-read. You may just spot something you overlooked before.
- Most importantly - learn to read between the lines. Read what is there, not what you think is there.